1.29.2008

Adventure continued...

As I woke the next morning I noticed the first rays of sunlight streaming into the room. I stood beside the bed and stretched out the soreness that I had acquired during the previous days drive, and started to take in my surroundings. It was a very plush room, probably referred to as a suite by the hotel since it did have a sitting area. The decor was classic, and unobtrusive. On the sofa in the sitting room there was a package with my name on it. I eyed it suspiciously for a minute wondering why I hadn't heard someone entering my room and leaving it, but ultimately decided it didn't matter and opened it up.

The package contained clothes. Nothing too fancy, just jeans a button up shirt, shoes and a leather jacket. I set the clothes aside and went to the bathroom to take care of the three S's. On the counter laid a selection of toiletries, and a note.
"Pack a dop kit, you still have more to do."

I packed my kit, and went in to get dressed, starting to notice more details. The suit that I had worn to work the previous day was hanging up and looked freshly pressed as did my shirt and shoes. I contemplated the effort that was being put in while I dressed. They had done a pretty good job shopping for me. The clothes fit, even the shoes, and the jacket was soft and inviting. As I slipped the jacket on the phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered attentively.
"Good morning Mr. Skembo" Replied the vaguely familiar voice. "When you are ready to continue please come up to the penthouse."
"I'll be there in just a minute."

The past few evening finally started to come back, the strange man, Whitlowe I think. And of course the rapid trip to Denver in that fine piece of machinery. I could get used to driving a car like that.

The phone rang again.
"Hello"
"A slight change of plans, go downstairs and retrieve your car. We will have the navigation system set up for you. Meet us at that destination."
"My car?" Came the question.
"Yes, the Lamborghini, it is yours now, congratulations."
"Oh! Thanks" Escaped my stunned reply
"I am not the one to thank; you will meet some of the benefactors at your destination. Please do not delay too much, they are not patient people."
"Oh, ok on my way."
The line went dead, and I grabbed my belongings and headed for the door.

After a quick stop by the front desk arranging for my suit to be sent back to my home I went out to front to valet stand. They were already waiting for me, door open and engine running. I slipped in behind the wheel and started driving. The traffic was light as the navigation system guided me onto I-25 south. I didn't pay a great deal of attention to where I was heading until I started to see the tell tale signs of a municipal airport. Sure enough the signs for Centennial Airport showed up, and I drove on.

As my navigation system said I reached my destination, I looked around. There was one hanger that had an unusual number of very expensive cars around it, and I guessed that was where I should go. As I pulled up outside of the hanger I saw ole Whatshisname standing there waiting for me. I walked over to him and he gave me a wry smile.

"This will get more challenging with every day." He said his tone conversational, "Just remember, what you have is yours, don't be afraid to quit."
"Thanks" I said sincerely. I was starting to feel very alone in this.

We walked toward the cracked hanger door; one look told me what the next challenge would be.

2 comments:

Janika said...

Well, the adventure almost continued. Hurry up so you can have your adventure and come home to me ;)

Unknown said...

What happens next!?