1.28.2008

Another Day another $$$

Today is just another day. It is a little depressing actually. I think about people hundreds of years ago, and all of the stuff we have that they didn't. Sure I love my Blackberry, air-conditioning, and pillowtop mattress, but I wish life had an adventure or two thrown in for good measure.

So here is my ideal adventure.

The wind was blowing under dreary skies as I walked down the long tunnel toward Union Station. It had been a day that was about the best I could say for it. No one yelled, all the network hardware worked. I had been free to sit at my desk working quietly most of the time. Of course this stinking walk to my car was making the day last even longer.

As I reached the elevator a man I hadn't met before said "Hello". I replied in kind thinking nothing of it, then he said these words.
"Do you consider yourself an adventurous man Mr. Skembo?"
I didn't know what to make of the question, but replied to the affirmative, and told a quick anecdote about my friend Erik who calls me a Renaissance Man due to all of the varied interests I have. Then he asked if I would be interested in taking on a challenge. This conversation has gone to a very interesting place.

As we talked he explaned to me the rules. His is Mr. Witlowe, and he represents a group of extraordinarily wealthy and eccentric men. They have decided to place a wager of sorts. I would be asked to drive/pilot a variety of different vessels with very little training, and show some aptitude with them. Whether or not I did so successfully would determine which of these eccentrics became richer. No matter how I performed I would be paid a handsome sum to be the subject of this bet. However if I performed well I would undoubtedly receive more compensation.

I stood in that dimly lit tunnel, my mind racing through the questions that needed to be answered. After receiving satisfactory answers to those questions I accepted. Mr. Witlowe and I boarded the elevator together, and he told me what the first challenge was.

We stepped out of the elevator I saw it. Sparkling in the grey light that the overcast day projected onto it., a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera. I walked toward the car looking at it like a lustful teenager, Witlowe handed me the keys and said very firmly. "Six hours to Denver, you need to be in the penthouse of the Brown Palace hotel by midnight to win." I took the keys and hastened my steps toward the car, and swung the door open. Settling in I adjusted the seat and mirrors, inserted the key and turned it. The V10 roared to life, and I blipped the throttle. I put the Lambo into first gear and eased out on the clutch. We had all evening to get to know each other, no reason to rush things.

Driving quickly I entered I-35 northbound. Called my wife and told her what was going on, I could here the hesitation in her voice as she said "OK", but by that time I was getting further away. As I crossed the state line into Oklahoma I looked at my watch, I had better pick up my pace. I shifted down into fourth, and pushed the throttle to the floor. The engine seemed to howl as the speedometer climbed deeper and deeper into three digits. By the time I reached sixth gear my eyes were glued to the road scared to blink. I gave a sigh of releif as I passed into Kansas, knowing that at least I would be out of the reach of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. I stopped and gassed up, then got back on the highway, my previouse trips have taught me that it is a long drive through Kansas, taking I-35 to 135, and then treking west on I-70 to Denver.

Seventeen miles per gallon makes this trip a little harder, once you realize that you are low on fuel you have to slow down in order to find a gas station. Luck stays with me allowing me to get all the way to Bloomington, CO without aggravating one single police officer, that I know of. As I start to see the lights from Denver I look down at the clock; 11:28. I punch it taking full advantage of all the horsepower at my disposal. I notice a police care in the center divide, but he is out of view before I can even see if he is able to turn his lights on.

As I exit onto Brighton Blvd and turn left the tires momentarily loose traction, reacting quickly to get it back in line. I keep a steady pace of 95mph down Brighton until I reach 19th street, then I slow down to the 30mph speed limit and swing quickly into the valet. I rush through the lobby and up the elevator, making it to the Penthouse with less than five minutes to spare.

After enjoying a glass of water and a very nice meal I am offered to continue onto the next challenge. I accept and head to my suite for a much needed nights sleep wondering what awaits me tomorrow.

1 comment:

Janika said...

It's funny that we met online and hardly got to know each other, but nearly 2 years later I am still getting to know you online. Love you