5.15.2006

My battle with addiction


Today I have realized that I am addicted. To something that I never thought would be a problem for me... "24". You heard me right, I am addicted to the Fox TV show "24". Every Monday I hope I can get out of work on time so that I don't miss the opening minutes of the show. While some people were complaining that the President's address to the nation was going to delay "24", I was glad, that meant that I would not have to drive 100mph down I-30 in order to get home and watch my show. Hey, I might even be able to eat before hand!

So what makes this show so addicting? I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question for a while. I think the true answer is, Everything! The show has it all. The actors are divinely top drawer, and the writers aren't afraid to kill off major characters mid season. Truly Jean Smart is an amazing actor, and it doesn't hurt that she is a hot older lady. If you have any doubts about her acting ability, check her out on youtube.com, she is truly amazing. The other actors on the show are just as great, and the characters have real depth and feel.

Just for the record, I know that 24 is a soap opera with guns. That's probably why I like it! You get to watch a chick flick without all the guilt! Really, who hasn't wanted to watch a terrorist get tortured, while a man confesses his true love to a woman. This is great stuff!

Of course none of this is works without great writing, and 24 has that in excess (we'll just leave out that the writers tried to kill off Aaron Peirce earlier this season). The writers seem to enjoy taking the plot somewhere completely different then you'd ever expect. All I can tell them is if they don't have Martha confess her undying love for Aaron before the end of this season, I will never watch again... Until next season. That's right no re-runs for me and I mean it!

Ok, so my title is probably a little mis-leading. I'm not battling it, because I like it!

Mike (Soap Opera With Guns) Skembo

3 comments:

Yamaha Drummer said...

Dude, where have you been! 24 is on Fox channel 4! You are missing out! next week is the season finale... the two hour season finally!

Janika said...

Maybe it is so addicting because it is a 12-step program, doubled.

Yamaha Drummer said...

You're a silly girl, but I like it!